Who Are Considered Essential Workers in Texas?
Earlier this year, the COVID-19 pandemic took the country by storm, quickly spreading across the United States. According to the most recent statistics, there have been over 1,200,000 cases of COVID-19 in the United States, and over 72,000 Americans have lost their lives. Of those, nearly 35,000 cases were in Texas, and nearly 1,000 Texans have died from complications related to the novel coronavirus.
In the wake of the crisis, Governor Abbott ordered a state-wide stay-at-home order. The order mandated the closure of schools as well as those businesses deemed non-essential. However, there has been confusion about what businesses are considered “essential.” Those employees who are “essential” may be required to come into work, despite the clear dangers presented by COVID-19.
While each state is able to determine the extent of a stay-at-home order, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) provides guidance regarding what businesses and organizations are considered essential. Governor Abbott’s order includes the entirety of the Department of Homeland Security’s list, as well as a few additional businesses and organizations.
Below is a list of many of the more common employment positions that are considered essential under DHS guidance:
- Any position that provides COVID-19 testing, including workers who are researching vaccines and other related tests
- Caregivers, including doctors, nurses, physician assistants, psychologists, pharmacists, occupational therapists, social workers, pathologists
- Hospital and laboratory personnel, including support staff such as accountants, administrators, food service, housekeeping, information technology, nutritionists and respiratory therapists
- Workers in other medical facilities, including ambulatory health and surgical centers, blood banks, mental health clinics, outpatient rehabilitation facilities, home health care, hospice, and residential psychiatric facilities
- Manufacturers, technicians and warehouse operators, distributors of medical equipment, including personal protective equipment, medical gases, pharmaceuticals, blood and blood products, vaccines, testing materials, laboratory supplies, cleaning and sanitizing, disinfecting or sterilization supplies and tissue and paper towel products
- Public health workers including those who compile, model, analyze and communicate public health information
- Security workers for other essential businesses
- Workers who provide food, shelter and other services to those in need
- Police officers
- 911 operators
- Emergency medical technicians (EMTs)
- Other emergency management employees, including fire fighters and corrections officers
Food and agriculture
- Workers supporting grocery stores, pharmacies and other retail establishments that sell food products
- Restaurant workers
- Employees of food manufacturers, including food processing, slaughterhouses and beverage production facilities
- Farmworkers, including those employed in the manufacture of animal feed and veterinary drugs, truck drivers and other delivery employees
- Sanitation workers
- Employees who work to provide electricity
- Nuclear power plant employees
- Petroleum workers, including those involved in product storage, refining, drilling and offshore operations
- Natural gas workers
- Employees needed to operate and maintain public and private drinking water and wastewater/drainage infrastructure, including operational staff, repair workers and chemical disinfectant suppliers
- Logistics workers
- Mass transit operators and support staff
- Maritime transportation workers
- Hazmat truck drivers
- Postal employees
- Moving company employees
- Airline workers
- Maintenance positions
- Road and bridge inspectors
- Construction workers involved in projects related to necessary infrastructure
- Waste removal employees
- Workers who support the operation, maintenance and public safety of state parks, forests, wildlife management areas, water supply protection lands and other critical natural resources
- Workers involved in the maintenance of communications technology, including internet and broadband service providers
- Workers who support radio, television and the media, including reporters and technicians
- Installation, maintenance and repair technicians that establish, support or repair service as needed
- Information technology workers
Other essential positions
- Election employees
- Building inspectors
- Security staff who work with other essential businesses
- Weather forecasters
- Hotel workers
- Critical government workers
- Construction Workers who support the construction, operation, inspection, and maintenance of construction sites and construction projects (including housing construction)
- Workers in recovery housing
- Professional services, including:
- Human resources
- Commercial retail stores that supply other essential businesses
- Workers at places of worship
- Bank employees
- Chemical manufacturers
- Defense contractors
A complete list of the DHS essential businesses and organizations can be found here.
In addition to the above, Governor Abbott’s stay-at-home order allows church services, provided they are “conducted consistent with the Guidelines from the President and the CDC by practicing good hygiene, environmental cleanliness, and sanitation, and by implementing social distancing to prevent the spread of COVID-19.” Other businesses and organizations that were not included in the above list can apply for determination from The Texas Division of Emergency Management.
Certain business and organization have specifically been determined not to be essential, including:
- Cosmetology Salons
- Massage Establishments
- Tattoo Studios
- Piercing Studios
- Public Swimming Pools
- Interactive Amusement Venues
- Eating and Drinking at Restaurants and Food Courts
On May 1, 2020, Governor Abbott lifted portions of the state’s stay-at-home order. However, a Harris County judge extended the stay-at-home order for Harris County residents and business. Under the Governor’s new relaxed order, certain retail establishments, movie theaters, shopping malls, museums, libraries, golf courses and local government offices can open. Some of these businesses and organizations will be required to limit occupancy to 25 percent of the facility’s typical maximum occupancy.
Notwithstanding the Governor’s decision to reopen parts of the Texas economy, the CDC has provided guidance to keep workers and customers safe, including:
- Considering options to increase physical space between employees and customers such as opening a drive- through, erecting partitions, and marking floors to guide spacing at least six feet apart.
- Cleaning and disinfecting surfaces frequently touched by multiple people, including door handles, desks, phones, light switches and faucets.
- Assigning a person to rotate throughout the workplace to clean and disinfect surfaces.
- Scheduling handwashing breaks so employees can wash their hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Scheduling a relief person to give cashiers and service desk workers an opportunity to wash their hands.
- Providing employees with cloth face masks.
- Encouraging employees who feel sick to stay at home.
- Maintaining a social distance of six feet whenever possible.
- Avoiding non-essential travel.
- Minimizing the use of cash, credit cards and mobile devices.
- Encouraging employees avoid touching their mouth, eyes and nose.
Unfortunately, not all Texas employers follow these recommendations. And, due to the fact that Texas was one of the last states to issue a shelter-in-place order. Employers who fail to take these recommendations seriously put employees at a heightened risk of contracting COVID-19.
Employees who have contracted COVID-19 should reach out to one of the dedicated Texas personal injury attorney to discuss their options. Employees who have contracted COVID-19 may be eligible for compensation for their injuries, either through a Texas workers’ compensation claim or Texas personal injury lawsuit.
Contact a Houston Essential Worker Workplace Injury Law Firm
Texas personal law can be complex, especially given the unprecedented situation the state is currently facing. The attorneys at The de la Garza Law Group are here to help you and your family through this challenging time. We proudly represent Texas essential employees and medical workers who have contracted COVID-19 while on the job, either through a workers’ compensation claim or a personal injury claim.
At The de la Garza Law Group, our team of dedicated Houston personal injury lawyers is dedicated to helping clients obtain compensation for their injuries. We understand that your emotional and financial wellbeing are at stake after a COVID-19 diagnosis, and we will do everything we can to help. We offer all clients a free, no-obligation consultation in which we will provide an honest and thorough assessment of your case. To learn more, call 713-804-8670, or call toll-free at 844-784-1010. We proudly represent clients throughout Harris County, Fort Bend County and Montgomery County, including in the Woodlands, Pearland and Sugar Land.
HERE FOR CLIENTS
“They really do care about you and take your case seriously.”
Thank you! You guys are #1 to me.
Mr. Mario de la Garza and his team are one of a kind and hands down the best law firm in Houston. They really do care about you and take your case seriously. He takes your calls and actually takes the time to talk to you and explain how everything is going to work and he leaves no questions unanswered. I also want to say his team is the best! Lidia thank you so much for always replying to all my emails, calls and messages. All though I know I was a pain at times, she was always so responsive, patient and would always return my calls when she said she would. – Christina L.
I was fortunate to have him on my team and recommend him highly.
Mario de la Garza is a good lawyer. He secured insurance reimbursement for a personal injury that has taken 2.5 years settle. He was compassionate and patient and provided good counsel when solutions appeared non- existent. He was tenacious with medical providers, coordinated payments on a timely basis and worked well with insurance companies. I was fortunate to have him on my team and recommend him highly. - HP
My experience with The de la Garza Law Group was phenomenal.
Me being a 21 year old juggling my time as a full time employee and a full time college student dealing with a car accident sounded terrifying, but with the help of Mr. Mario de la Garza all my worries went away. He made the process so easy and met every one of my expectations and more. I would highly recommend The de la Garza Law group to anybody especially young adults who are terrified of having to deal with a car accident for the first time. Trust and believe The de la Garza Law Group will not disappoint. - Stefanie G.
Mario fought for every single penny in my case.
I was in a 18 wheeler car accident late August 2019. And as soon I got out the hospital, I looked up a good Injury attorney law firm to help me with this case. And the De la Garza law firm was the first one to pop up. They took care of me throughout the nine months. They have a great staff. With great people. I give them 5/5 stars. Mario fought for every single penny in my case. You got to respect a lawyer that’s willing to go beyond for you. I highly recommend De la Garza’s law firm. Thank you guys. - JW
I would definitely use Mario again.
The one thing that made me at ease with him was that when I would text him, I would get a response every time within 10 minutes or less. There was always an answer from him every time I had a question. He was always on time or a few minutes early when we had to meet up for things pertaining to my case. He would even work & reach out to me about my case on Saturdays & Sundays (7 days a week). I would definitely use Mario again if needed and would highly recommend him to someone else needing an attorney. - Robert C.
We are extremely grateful to The de la Garza Law Group
Our case pertained to an auto-pedestrian collision involving a commercial vehicle that resulted in catastrophic injuries to my brother. Unfortunately, and ultimately these injuries resulted in his wrongful death due to this hit and run in the Houston area. On behalf of my family, we are extremely grateful to The de la Garza Law Group for all their legal assistance. Mario de la Garza personally assisted in all legal matters pertaining to/and getting settlements for all medical bills and restitution for the family until the matter was concluded. We highly recommend this firm.
– Mariann B.
His team is very professional and I would highly recommend to anyone.
My experience with Mr. De la Garza was very pleasing during a difficult time. My case was a workplace injury causing serious injuries that unfortunately lead to a wrongful death. He was very patient with all of us due to several families being involved in this case and worked well with us all. I am glad he didn’t turn down our case (like others did). I was very pleased with how everything was handled in this case and the outcome as well. His team is very professional, and I would highly recommend to anyone. Thank you, Mr. de la Garza and team. – Lisa L.
I fully recommend The de la Garza Law Group for any legal representation.
Attorney Mario de la Garza, who is fluent in English and Spanish, is very professional and passionate about his work. My daughter and I are very satisfied with the outcome. At The de la Garza Group you will find a friendly and communicative staff, which along with the attorney, will handle your legal case with a very positive and professional demeanor. - Desiree D.
Thank you for your help.
My experience with De la Garza law group was a very long pleasant experience it was a little difficult to keep up with it since this was my 1st experience with an attorney, but he did really great to keep in touch even though I have a very busy schedule with work and hard to reach and was very informative before, and during the whole process. Thank you, Mr. de la Garza for your help. – Denise G.
It’s like a breath of fresh air having someone like Mario fight for you.
I have been a client of Mr. De la Garza two times now where he shows professionalism and honesty and a definite care for the people he represents. I got in a car accident in February and it caused such a hardship coming close to an end. It’s like a breath of fresh air having someone like Mario not only represent you but fight for you. I hope not to have any more accidents but if I did I will look forward to working with him again! – Ashley V.