Mario E. de la Garza
Partner | Founder
“I feel a calling to fight for those whose lives have been damaged and destroyed as a result of negligence.”
MARIO E. DE LA GARZA is a Houston-based personal injury attorney dedicated to helping injured people get justice. He represents victims of serious and catastrophic personal injuries in various contexts, including commercial truck collisions; burn and electrical incidents; workplace accidents; product liability accidents; and wrongful death.
Getting Justice for Clients
In every serious personal injury case, there is a powerful story of betrayal and loss. The betrayal happens when the wrongdoer makes a decision, often for self-gain, that endangers and harms the client. And the client’s losses go well beyond the medical record, manifesting themselves throughout the client’s daily life. For Mario, discovering and showing how a client’s injury has impacted their life is paramount in pursuing justice and, therefore, integral to his law practice.
While Mario has recovered millions of dollars for his clients, his success lies in going beyond simply knowing the law and the facts of a particular case. He has a natural ability to empathize with his clients, taking the time to understand their pain and anguish. His Spanish fluency is yet another way he connects with people of varied backgrounds.
Mario’s upbringing on a quiet family ranch near Rio Grande City led him to develop a deep connection to nature, admiration for hard work, and a spiritual love of good people. When he left the south Texas brush country for Harvard University, the intellectual diversity he encountered inspired him to become a lawyer. Mario attended Northwestern University School of Law to pursue his goal to help make the world a safer place.
“My mission as a lawyer is to make sure that the ‘human’ isn’t left out of human progress, that the progress of industry, technology, and enterprise does not come at the expense of the human beings on whose shoulders they rise.”
Mario began his legal career taking on complex civil matters as an appellate lawyer at Haynes and Boone, LLP, a well-respected law firm among the largest in the United States. He then gained further experience as a business lawyer handling international transactions at Bracewell & Giuliani, LLP, but he could no longer ignore his calling to fight for injured people.
To that end, Mario joined Fleming & Associates in 2009, a mass-tort firm, and represented people who have been wronged by the negligence of others. In August 2010, he became a law firm owner and has advocated for personal injury victims ever since. The research and analytical skills he gained from his rich legal background give him an edge in cases that involve nuanced matters.
A gifted communicator, Mario uses his prowess in legal writing and public speaking to help jurors, judges and opposing counsel not only understand but feel his clients’ plight on a human level. He believes part of his job as a personal injury lawyer is to show how his clients’ lives have been forever diminished by their injuries. In one particular wrongful death case, Mario leveraged his skills to select a jury that delivered a verdict of over $11 million in favor of his clients.
Mario’s talents as a writer and storyteller are not limited to the legal field. He has written short fiction, plays and screenplays, and has won awards for his creative writing.
Besides the law, Mario is also passionate about food, having refined recipes for his favorite homey dishes. He loves cooking for his wife Natasha, and their two daughters and is especially gratified when they ask for seconds.
Published Works and Seminars
- Author: “The Court’s Charge in Texas: A Brief Overview,” TYLA eNews, State Bar of Texas, January 2007
- Author: “The Age of Webcasting: Online Video Broadcasts of Supreme Court Oral Arguments,” The Appellate Advocate, Winter 2006
- Co-Author (with Murry B. Cohen): “Post-verdict Preservation of Error,” State Bar of Texas 27th Annual Advanced Civil Trial Course, Fall 2004
- Author/Presenter, Appellate Case Update, HBA Appellate Section Meeting, 2004
A Sample of Successful Outcomes
- A verdict of over $11 million for the mother and widow of a young father killed by a drunk driver who was overserved at a bar.
- A $5.5 million settlement for injured victims and their spouses in a truck accident case.
- A $3.5 million settlement for a Texas utility pole worker who suffered serious injuries due to faulty equipment.
- A $3.25 million settlement for a bicyclist who was catastrophically injured in a truck accident.
- A $2.25 million settlement for a father of three who suffered debilitating injuries to his right arm as a result of negligence by a utility easement trimming company
- A $1.6 million settlement for a farmworker injured on the job in an equipment crushing accident.
ASSOCIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association of Justice (AAJ), Member
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association (TTLA), Member
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association (HTLA), Member
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association (NYSTLA), Member
- Hispanic Bar Association of Houston, Member, Advisory Board
- Mexican-American Bar Association of Houston, Member
- Alumni of the Spence Trial Lawyers College (TLC), Member, F Warriors
- Texas, 2003
- New York, 2012
HONORS & AWARDS
- Texas Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney, Super Lawyers, 2021
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2015
- Top Lawyers, Personal Injury, Houstonia Magazine, 2013, 2014
- Houston’s Top Lawyers, Personal Injury, H Texas Magazine, 2012, 2013
- Northwestern University School of Law
- Juris Doctor, 2003
- Harvard University
- Bachelor of Arts in History & Science, 1998
- Certificate in Mind/Brain/Behavior
- David McCord Prize
- Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Bracewell & Giuliani, LLP
- Fleming & Associates
- Tucker, Barnes, Garcia & de la Garza, P.C., Shareholder
“They really do care about you and take your case seriously.”
- An Injury Client